Becoming a Firefighter
The St. George Fire Protection District operates under the Municipal Fire and Police Civil Service System. If you would like more information on any of the positions for employment with St. George Fire Department, please visit the Municipal Fire and Police Civil Service Office website to access the job classification plans.
To be considered for employment applicants must:
- be at least 18 years of age
- be a citizen of the United States
- possess a valid high school diploma or GED certificate
- possess a valid driver's license and social security card
- pass the civil service exam
1. Take a Civil Service Exam
, administered by the Office of the State Examiner. Places & dates of exams can be obtained by contacting the Municipal Fire and Police Civil Service Office; Office of State Examiner
. Test scores must
be submitted to St. George, along with a completed employment application for hiring consideration.
2. Submit a completed employment application, along with copies of the following documents:
3. The final phase of the application process places applicants on the department's eligibility roster. When positions become available, qualified applicants on file will be notified. Once an applicant's score has expired, his/her name will be removed from the eligibility list.
Where to Apply
Applications for Employment may be obtained online or picked up at our office at 14141 Airline Highway, Building 1, Suite H, Baton Rouge, LA 70817.